Thursday, April 22, 2010

The First State


Sometimes even very communicative five year-olds have a hard time putting the mysterious thoughts that bounce around in their heads into words we adults can understand. This weekend in the car, I listened to the following conversation between David and Primo:


Primo: “What is the first state?”


David: “You mean the first civilization that ever was?”


“No, no. I mean the FIRST state.”


“What do you mean by first? Like, in history?”


“Do you know the number one? Zero, then one? I mean number one, the FIRST.”


“I am familiar with the meaning of first. I just don’t know what you mean.”


Sigh. Primo would have to backtrack a bit, catch his dad up.


“You know Australia? That’s almost the last state.”


“In what way is Australia the last state? You know, I don’t think you mean states, really, I think you mean – “


Australia is almost the last but what I want to know is what is the FIRST one?”


“Do you mean in terms of longitude and latitude?”


Primo looked at his father like he was a hopeless case. Hopeless.


So I piped in:


New York,” I said, “New York is the first. And the best.”


That settled it.