Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Do you know how I imagine Napoli?

Day Five, Rome Trip:

Tomorrow we head out over to Terracina, the charming beachside town about an hour south of Rome, near where my mother was born. Kids are wildly excited, not just for the beach, but for the bombas, which I can only approximate in words as a donut stuffed with Italian creme or Nutella, and served piping hot and dusted with sugar. Imagine eating that while high and that is the experience of eating the bomba, even when sober. The drugs are in the bomba.

Point is, we're headed to Terracina, which is halfway between Roma and Napoli. Today we've been talking about Napoli and tonight Primo told me, when he was going sleep,

"Do you know how I imagine Napoli?"

"No, tell me."

"Like MON-opoly."

He is right. Only with more pickpockets and better pizza.