Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Storing this sex talk for later

I was just talking to a Mommy friend about the fact that one day, not too many years from now, we will need to have the sex talk with the kids. I guess the experts would probably say it will be a series of sex talks but just thinking about the inaugural one has me quaking in my boots. We were trying to think of what we'd say, how we'd make a justifiable case to wait. Then last night, I was watching Glee - not usually my go-to source for parenting advice and inspiration -- and I heard THE BEST EVER sex talk, given by a dad to his gay, virgin son.

And he said:

"When you're intimate with someone in that way you are exposing yourself - you are never going to be more vulnerable. You gotta know that it means something - it is doing something to you, to your heart, to your self esteem, even if it feels like you are just having fun. I want you to use it as a way to connect to another person. Don't throw yourself around like you don't matter. Because you matter."

Spot-on. Totally writing this on an index card and saving it til I need it.