Monday, April 23, 2012

Baby Nicknames


Now that I have a newborn in the house as well as two fully-fledged big kids, I've noticed a startling discrepancy. I no longer call my big kids by endearing little nicknames. That's not to say I don't have nicknames for them, some abbreviated, or in some cases, embellished forms of their name. And I employ plenty of the generic but nonetheless heartfelt "honey"s and "sweethearts." But now that I'm doing it all over again, I remembered that when Primo and Sec were teeny tiny babies, I had a whole slew of additional terms of endearment which I'd use, and -- here's the weird thing - they all are associated with food items. Yes, I think this is due to the fact that women, and in particular mothers, want to eat babies to some extent.


I've noticed these terms tend to start with the letter P:
Pumpernickel Seed.

Pumpkin Pie.
Peanut.

Or G:
Goober Pea.
Gumball.
Gumdrop.

And occasionally are things which don't exist but I bet would be tasty:
Baloney spumoni sausage pie

I told you it was weird.