Monday, July 15, 2013

Abraham Lincoln, Fame-Hunter


We were walking to camp the other morning and discussing fame. Its a subject my children are especially interested in. I find it regrettable (but not surprising) that at the age of 6 and 8, already they seek fame. They have a lot of potential strategies for securing popularity on an international basis; Primo's are more fleshed-out and usually take the form of some amazing comic book concept that is just going to BREAK OUT. Seconda doesn't have a solid plan for how she'll win world recognition, and this worries me. I'd better keep that one away from the internet until she finds a means I can get behind.

Regardless of how they get fame, they are decided that it is coming to them.  And the other day, Primo clarified for me why he's so convinced about this.

"It's like Abraham Lincoln said," Primo pronounced, "We all get fifteen minutes of fame."

I was tempted to ask if that was a part of the Gettysburg Address I missed  . . . or possibly included somewhere in the Emancipation Proclamation? Instead, I just told him, "I think it was Warhol, honey, who said that," and he laughed.

"Oh, its an easy mistake," I reassured him, "I'm sure people mix those two up all the time."