Thursday, May 28, 2009

The prophet in our midst



Primo was drawing a picture this morning and I innocently asked what he was drawing. This was his reply:

“It is the movie I'm going to make about angels, about how all the angels are sad because God blew out the sun and all the buildings fell down with a crash and it was the end of the world. But don’t worry -- all the people on earth were already in heaven. The only problem was, God didn’t want to make any more people because he was tired of it. Do you know how many people God has made? Like, a thousand. So he was tired of making people and that’s why the angels were sad. The end.”

This is one of those moments in parenting where you think, “Holy shit, did I birth a prophet? Is my kid TOUCHED?” I advise you not to think about it too much. Kids say craaaaazy shit. Consider this post by finslippy, whose slightly-older son went off on a similar rampage of terrifying, genius clarity.

Perhaps it is his Roman Catholic background that predisposes Primo to such celestial musings. He did bring a vial of holy water in the shape of the Virgin Mary to his first day of school, when all the other kids brought Elmos. Regardless, the thing to do, I think, is exploit these gifted ones who can channel the power of the cosmos. Sort of like the plot of the Eddie Murphy movie I saw a preview of a few weekends ago, the one where he takes stock tips from his little girl. I think I should write this angel movie Primo has thought up, pitch it to Steven Spielberg and see how we do. Keep your fingers crossed.