Monday, April 18, 2011

Overheard



The kids were playing in their room. I was sitting at the computer, pretending to work but actually shopping daily deal websites, the Achilles Heel of m online shopping.

Sec paused in the Hansel-and-Gretel-murder-the-wicked-witch game and remarked:

"Oh, Primo, it was so funny in my classroom because the kids were playing family and it was me and Jax and Hillary and Ben and Greta and Lila and Nora and Grover and Larry and Mary and then Tess said “The Daddy has no eyeball!” Is that funny?

Primo did not respond. I imagine he stopped listening after the second or third name of someone he didn’t know, though it might have been earlier, maybe after “in my classroom” or most likely after “it was so funny.” In any event, he didn’t respond so Sec repeated, “Is that funny?”

She waited a beat. Still no response

Then, “PRIMO! I am talking to you!”

Somebody’s gonna get a smack-down, I thought. I readied myself to respond, even though I’ve read Siblings Without Rivalry five times and know that I am not, under any circumstances, to intervene in sibling altercations at such an early stage.

“I SAID --- IS. THAT. FUNNNNNY?”

"Yes,” Primo piped up, quietly, He had no idea what she was talking about and he didn’t care. But he knew just what to say.

Good God, I thought. It is exactly like listening to David and I. Heaven help us.