Thursday, July 23, 2009

Oversharers Beware!



If you haven’t run into this blog in cyberspace, allow me to introduce you:


http://stfuparents.tumblr.com/


Basically it’s a website where people anonymously submit status updates made by parents with a tendency to over-share or just share really excruciatingly dumb and annoying things about their kids. These submissions are posted and followed by a brief bitch-out by STFU Parents’ founder. Yesterday’s update was a mom telling the facebook world that her 5 month-old is a “sharter” and describing the aroma. TMI if I ever heard it.


I’d like to think that I operate on a plane of crazy much lower and more appealing that the parents quoted on this website. But we all like to think that, don’t we? I mean, no mom ever sets out to broadcast to the world every minor detail of Junior’s troubling BMs. No one tries to be an over-sharing burden on the rest of cyberspace. It just happens. And when it does, the offenders don’t know who they are. But now STFU Parents kindly points them out.


I live in fear of the day that I will recognize my own writing up there. I will have a moment of bad judgment and some Judas who I think is a friend will betray me. Its’ reason enough to steer clear of Twitter.