Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Having your lentils taken out


“Mommy!” exclaimed Primo first thing this morning, “Did you know Daddy got his lentils taken out?”

“His what?”

“His LENTILS!”

“What’s lentils? Do I have lentils? Is there blood in them? I don’t want them to TAKE MY LENTILS!!!” yelled Seconda.

“What are you talking about?” I replied blearily, “What are lentils?”

“In your body,” Primo explained, pointing to his throat.

And then I had the sweet suffusion of affection that comes when your growing-up-so-fast child says something which reminds you he’s still a babe in the woods, and you’re so relieved to hear it, because it means he won’t be sneaking off to raves or skipping school to smoke pot anytime soon.

“You mean your tonsils,” I said, “Daddy got his tonsils taken out?”

“Yeah, that’s it,” he said, “Can you believe it?”

It was a good morning.