Sunday, December 30, 2012

I resolve


This year, I'm going to be reasonable about resolutions. 

Let's face it, I'm probably not going to start going to the gym in 2013.

I'm probably not going to take the Calcium supplements my obgyn has been telling me to take for ten years

I won't stop cursing though I might be able to cut out the hard stuff, aka "motherf%&^r"

I doubt I'll manage to read books on a regular basis, apart from bedtime fare which frankly, now that Primo's 8, is getting sophisticated enough as to sate much of my adult literature appetite

I'm not going to use the slow cooker I bought 

But that doesn't mean I can't make resolutions. 

I resolve to keep showing up. To life in general. To tap dance recitals and class trips and tumbling shows and informal art galleries set up in the kids' bedroom. To middle-of-the-night wakings. To sick visits at the pediatricians which occur on a bi-weekly basis in the wintertime. To homework help. To bedtime reading. To birthday parties. To the three childhoods I know I am shaping, for better or worse.

I resolve to keep trying to be thoughtful, mindful and premeditated in parenting, and hell, why not, in all that I do.

And I resolve to eat more spinach salads because they taste damn good and they're damn good for you too. 

I think that's about all I can reasonably manage. Probably a good deal more, in fact, but one has to aim high. 

Happy New Year! Here's to much peace, laughter and many a good night of sleep in 2013.