Monday, March 14, 2011

Bite My Tongue, a lenten sacrifice

For Lent this year, I’ve decided to give up something that actually makes a difference in my life, and the lives of those around me, rather than the requisite sacrifice of ice cream or hamburgers.

So for forty days and nights I will not indulge in the pleasure of . . . .

Making un-constructive negative comments

I am genuinely jazzed. I think this could be good. It is a tall order, to be sure, but note that I am free to say what constructive negative comments I want. I guess the rule is, if I honestly think it will make the slightest difference, than I can exude negative energy. But if, as is most often the case, nothing good will come of it, then I will opt to bite my tongue. Or, as my mother puts it, bite my tongue til it bleeds. The funny part about my mother using this expressive is that I’ve never known her in all my years, to EVER bite her tongue, even gently, I come from a people who never need to preface their remarks, “If I can speak freely” because they are ALWAYS speaking freely. This isn’t a problem in and of itself. I imagine if you were the kind of person who has a generally rosy look on life, a mild temperament, and a generous disposition, than it might be rather nice for you to freely express your positive thoughts. But my mother, grandmother, and regrettably, myself, hardly ever have something positive bouncing around in our brains. We are chronic complainers and control freaks, and our speaking freely is really a disservice to the world.

Thus, in the spirit of Lent, I think I’ll make the world a better place (and give my husband a break) by experimenting with verbal restraint.

David doesn’t think I’ll be able to do it. He, however, underestimates my religious devotion, and, more important, my desire to prove him wrong. If things get rough, there’s always the Sunday absolution rule, where I can break my Lenten sacrifice on Sundays. Not sure who approved that loophole but I’m sure its kosher. Thankfully, I don’t blog on Sundays, so you won’t be privy to the rampage of criticism, contempt and complaints I may need to unleash.

To my tongue, I can only say: sorry, but you’ve got to take one for the team.