Friday, January 30, 2015

A side of Maurice Sendak you haven't seen before, which will make you love him even more than before


So I was curious about Maurice Sendak's personal history because I saw the world's funniest interview with him on the Colbert Report, and this lead me to this article on Mental Floss 
My favorite part of the piece are the quotes from Sendak himself. Good God, he's amazing. It just makes me love him even more. 
“A woman came up to me the other day and said, ‘You’re the kiddie-book man!’ I wanted to kill her.” 
  • On Max as an adult: “Well, he’s in therapy forever. He has to wear a straitjacket when he’s with his therapist."

  • On parents who think the Wild Things movie is too scary for children: “I would tell them to go to hell. That's a question I will not tolerate."

  • “I think it’s unnatural to think that there is such a thing as a blue-sky, happy-clouded childhood for anybody.”

  • "I refuse to lie to children."

  • "I'm totally crazy, I know that. I don't say that to be a smartass, but I know that that's the very essence of what makes my work good. And I know my work is good. Not everybody likes it, that's fine. I don't do it for everybody. Or anybody. I do it because I can't not do it."
November 23, 2013 - 9:55am