Monday, May 30, 2011

Memorial Day



Burgers on the grill.
Summer blockbusters.
Turning the hose on your little sister.

This is what start of summer in the suburbs is all about. And I was delighted to partake this Memorial Day weekend.

We went grocery shopping and I was shocked to find the massive supermarket which already takes up at least a city block has grown even LARGER. It took over a liquor store next door and now is nearly TWO CITY BLOCKS long. I don't even know what to do in that supermarket. I just wander around in a haze, dazzled by how wide the aisles are, veering from one side of the aisle to the other. It takes me a half hour just to get a carton of milk. It is kind of wonderful to have all that space but kind of scary too -- I'm surprised they don't have more "Lost child announcements" like at Disneyland. That supermarket could secede and become its own freaking city.

Kids had a marvelous time, riding their bikes in the cul de sac and drinking icy cold lemonade afterwards. And of course, they enjoyed attacking each other with the hose. Idyllic really. Come Monday morning though, I'm chomping at the bit to get back to Brooklyn. Too much space gives me a headache.