Monday, January 23, 2012

Mom, I'm Fat


Mothering daughters is no easy feat for a whole host of reasons but grappling with body image problems is one of the doozies and I'm already freaked out about it. This post on Rachel Simmons' website, Mom, I'm Fat, only freaked me out more in some ways-- the thought that Sec could turn to me in two years and tell me she wishes her belly is more flat-- but it also reassured me, too. I loved the fact that the author was so candid about the fact that, though she's an expert in parenting, she has no freaking idea how to respond in one of these heart-wrenching real life parenting conundrums. Or, I should say, she has a pretty good Ida, a whole bunch of pretty great ideas, which she tries, only to find that none of them really do the trick, What matters is not that you get it right, but that you try and try again and try some more and be honest and thoughtful in the process and love your kind. Ultimately, that's the best you can do and it has to be good enough, at least most of the time. Food for thought . . .