Wednesday, February 24, 2010

The woman who never lets you down



Seconda was playing on David’s cell phone (hell, I won’t let the child within five feet of mine but David’s is fair game when he’s not looking). Since she doesn’t know how to dial numbers that connect to actual people, she usually ends up hearing this message:

“The number you have dialed is not in service at this time. Please try again later.”

Most people are annoyed when they hear this message. Not my daughter. It means she has reached her best quasi-imaginary friend, who goes by the name “Woman.”

“OK woman! I will try again later! Thanks Wooooomaaaaan!” she yells with delight.

Two minutes later, she informs me: “Mommy I have to call the woman back now. She told me to.”

Thankfully, Woman is exceedingly easy to reach and always available to repeat my daughter’s favorite message: “Please try again later.”

“OK Woman, I WILL!!!!” Sec shrieks with laugher. Woman is so reliable.

But after doing this a few times, she did tire of Woman’s predictability. My daughter wanted more from Woman than Woman was able to give. Their relationship had run its course. And Sec told me:

“I want the woman to say, “If you need help, I will help you!”

I guess the child has to learn sometime that customer service is never quite what you hope it will be.

Tomorrow, I think I’ll introduce her to Man who Tells the Time.